The noise you NEVER want to hear at the dentist office

10 Jul

It has been raining here for three and a half weeks, nearly every single day. This is not typical for our summers and at this point it’s really starting to get annoying. So Mother Nature, having a sense of humor decided to throw a little twist into the weather today…

It appeared to be a typical Wednesday at the office until we noticed the morning sky getting darker instead of light. The mood out on the street was eerie, my boss (jokingly I hope) described the scene as that of a Stephen King movie (to this day I’ve only seen one of his movies and that was not by choice). We waited but nothing happened. No rain. No wind. No lightning. Just as quickly as it got dark, the sky cleared and we saw this mystical object in the sky. If I remember correctly it’s called the sun (insert angelic choir).

The day continues without any other surprises until about 2:00PM when we discover that it is not only somewhat sunny outside, but it’s pouring down rain as well (wish I would have thought to look for a rainbow…sure could use a pot of gold). Then the sky lets loose and the flood gates open. There is so much rain, as if we need anymore at this point. That’s when we got the call, “severe weather in the area (really, I had no idea!), be prepared to take shelter if necessary.”

Great. Here it is 2:45PM, pouring down cats and dogs, I get off work in 15 minutes and I’m going to have to go out in this! Apparently my mental complaining got through to the higher powers because by the time I clocked out, it had magical stopped raining ad then just as magically started to pour 5 minutes later when I got to my dentist’s office.

Since my appointment wasn’t until 4:00PM I decided to just hangout in the waiting room for an hour instead of venturing out into the rain to kill time. While sitting there reading my book (“Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert), I must have gotten the same three severe weather alerts on my phone 10 times each at least. I am not kidding when I tell you I received an alert every two – three minutes….the exact same messages: severe thunderstorm, flash flood warning, tornado watch. I had been getting said messages for an hour already.

Finally try call me back to get my teeth cleaned. Now, I’m not one of those people who hates going to the dentist or gets all worried and bent out of shape. The only thing that really bothers me is the sound of the cleaning instruments against my teeth. To me it sounds like they are destroying my teeth rather than cleaning. And since it has been a really long time since my last appointment and because of all the craziness happening with the weather I was a bit on edge today.

Amy, who was cleaning my teeth, was very nice. She and the rest of the office workers were tuned into the radio listening for the weather alerts. When I came into the room she told me that since her back was to the window, to let her know if I saw the trees blowing sideways, so we could hightail it to the basement. (Thinking to self: “okay, how am I suppose to do that while I am laying down with my head tipped back, looking at you while you clean my teeth?!”) I laughed and prayed, “please, please, please let this go fast.” That was probably the wrong thing to pray for…

Amy had just finished cleaning, scraping and hacking away at my bottom teeth when we heard it. The town tornado sirens going off. This is not a test. Do not panic, this is not a drill. then we overheard one of the other office ladies say her husband text her that he saw the funnel cloud touch down. Well, you don’t have to tell us twice, we were heading to the basement. I didn’t even know my dentist office HAD a basement, but I was thankful for it today!

Picture this: two patients, one for a routine cleaning, the other to fix a broken tooth on her birthday of all days, sporting our dentist bibs, each halfway through our appointment in the basement with four dentist assistants. The dentist went outside (I don’t know why!!) to check the sky and when he returned, he brought my dad with him, who had been waiting for me in the car.


So here I am, half my teeth cleaned, hiding out in the basement…you can’t tell because I’m smiling, but I’m freaking out.

We were down there for 30 – 40 minutes waiting out the storm and the tornado. The sirens went off twice more. FREAK OUT EVEN MORE!! Thank goodness for cell phones and data plans or we would have had no idea what was happening in the outside world. I texted my mom and found out she and our dog were holed up in the basement at home. Of course I had to Facebook about the unfortunate timing of the tornado, some of the comments made me smile (“at least it was a cleaning and not a root canal!” or “guess you’ll have to only smile halfway now” — thanks for that one mom!)

Finally, we got the all clear to go back upstairs with the goal of finishing our appointments before the next round hit. I am pleased to say we succeeded….however, as we were about to leave the office to make a break for the car, you’ll never guess why we heard. the tornado sirens….AGAIN!! you know where this is going…back to the dentist’s basement we all go.


At least this time, I have a full set of clean teeth and the other lady has a new tooth. And there we all are, sitting in the same place we were not 30 minutes earlier. Only this time, the power went out, thank goodness for backup generators or we would have been sitting in the dark. Another 20 – 30 minutes passes before we can leave and stupidly I think nothing else can go wrong, we are home free now! Mother Nature had other plans…

Just trying to get out of the city took forever!! There were emergency personnel everywhere!

The normal route we take to go home was flooded and blocked off by a police officer, so we had to take a detour. Have a look:



What would normally take 25 minutes to get home, took nearly an hour tonight. We passed so much flooding. One house was surrounded by water. Rivers were overflowing. Fields were drowning. The ground is just so saturated there is nowhere left for the water to go. Imagine a sponge that just can’t hold anymore water, it’s just dripping all over everything, that’s what we are dealing with.




We pass by this house that has a lake in the front yard, today the lake was so full, you couldn’t tell where the grass ended and the lake began…it just looked like one majorly flooded yard.


Luckily we made it home in one piece, our yard and driveway surprisingly weren’t flooded and the rest of the evening was uneventful. We were suppose to go to my grandparents’ house for my cousin’s birthday dinner tonight, but the festivities have been delayed as both of her parents (her dad is the chief) are on our volunteer fire department and they were out on multiple calls with many roads having to be closed due to flooding. Party has been moved to Thursday night!

Next time I got to the dentist, I really hope its boring and nothing to write about because I NEVER want a dentist or any other appointment for that matter, to be that exciting, ever.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: